Bed bugs are hard to get rid of for several reasons.
- Bed bugs are nocturnal making them difficult to detect. Hiding in the daytime in folds, creases, and tufts in mattresses, these blood-sucking pests come out at night to feast on sleeping humans’ blood, because they require blood meals to mature and to reproduce.
- Bed bug bites don’t hurt so bed bug bites can go unnoticed until their bites cause red, itchy welts that irritate victims.
- Bed bug eggs can be difficult to find and eliminate, as they hide in cracks, crevices, wall voids, and other areas that are difficult to get to.
- Female bed bugs lay eggs every day of their lives, bed bugs multiply amazingly fast. Detecting a bed bug issue at an early stage can make a huge difference in getting rid of bed bugs in your home.
- Bed bugs have developed resistance to many pesticides used to control them and heavy use of pesticides isn’t recommended for use in sleeping areas.
- If you determine you have a bed bug infestation in your bedroom, moving to a different room to sleep isn’t advised, as you can transport bed bugs to another part of your home. In apartments, bed bugs are difficult to get rid of because they can travel from one unit to another through holes made to accommodate electrical wiring and plumbing.
- Bed bugs can survive for a long time without a blood meal, hiding in protective harborages where they can survive treatments.
Because bed bug infestations are notoriously difficult to get under control, it is important to contact a professional pest control company at the first sign of an infestation. Controlling a bed bug problem can take several weeks and even months. In New Braunfels, Monitor Pest Control is your go-to bed bug control service. Contact us today!